Dr. Monica Mallampalli is a scientific thought leader and women’s health advocate. She is a trained biomedical scientist with science policy experience and brings a unique perspective to women’s health from bench to bedside. Her interests lie in examining knowledge gaps in science and determining how these gaps contribute to inequities and disparities in care for women.
Dr. Monica Mallampalli has training and research experience in multiple scientific disciplines including biochemistry, genetics, cellular & molecular biology, and neuroscience. Her ability to understand and comprehend complex scientific issues combined with strong analytic and problem-solving skills allow her to offer creative strategies and solutions to advance the science of women’s health.
Dr. Mallampalli’s portfolio within women’s health spans sex differences in chronic diseases, clinical trials, drug development, biosimilars and health innovations. She has co-authored several scientific publications and advocacy reports on topics related to women’s health. She has also convened several expert panel roundtables and summits to bring focus on knowledge gaps in women's health.
Over the years, Dr. Mallampalli has built strong alliances with several stakeholders including patients, advocacy groups, researchers, clinicians, federal agencies, policymakers and biopharmaceutical companies.
Previously, Dr. Mallampalli served as the Vice President of Scientific Affairs at the Society for Women’s Health Research (SWHR) where she was the chief architect of key programs related to sex-based biology with a focus on women’s health. Prior to SWHR, Dr. Mallampalli worked as a Health Policy Analyst and as a Research Fellow at the National Institutes of Health. She was also a Post-doctoral Fellow at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in the Department of Cell Biology. She earned her Ph.D. at the University of Utah in Human Genetics and received a Master of Sciences with a concentration in Biochemistry from Osmania University, India.
Dr. Mallampalli is the founder and CEO of Institute for Women’s Health Strategies. The institute aims to apply data driven strategies and solutions to advance the science of women’s health but also improve women’s overall health and wellbeing.
She currently lives in Ellicott City, Maryland, with her husband and two daughters.
- Dr. Mallampalli is on the board of SCAD Alliance, Alliance for Sleep Apnea Partners (ASAP), National Pain Advocacy Center (NPAC)
- Dr. Mallampalli was invited to serve as a Women’s health research expert and key informant for an Evidence-based Practice Center at the Agency for Healthcare Research Quality (AHRQ)
- She also serves as the patient advocacy representative for the Alliance for Sleep Apnea Partners on the American Academy of Sleep Medicine’s (AASM) sleep apnea awareness project working group
- Dr. Mallampalli is the senior scientific advisor for HealthyWomen.org, Association for Migraine Disorders
- Dr. Mallampalli is on the scientific advisory board of Moona.
- Organized and hosted a three-part virtual roundtable web series on the Value of Biosimilars in Women’s Health. This series explored and addressed key topics including innovations, overcoming patient access barriers, biosimilars' impact on our healthcare system and the need for patient/provider education.
HealthyWomen, Washington D.C., February 25, 2021
- Organized science & policy forum Biosimilars and Women’s Health to discuss the current biosimilar landscape in the U.S., including challenges and health implications for women.
HealthyWomen, Washington, DC, October 25, 2019
- Key contributor and research advisor on the Mind the Gap collective impact Initiative to make perinatal mental health a national priority.
Reilly Group and Postpartum Support International, Washington, DC, September 27, 2019
- Conceptualized, organized and implemented a two-day summit - Chronic Pain Summit in Women: Focus on Treatment, Management and Barriers to advance and elevate the current dialogue on effectively treating and managing chronic pain in women.
HealthyWomen, Ellicott City, MD, July 18-19, 2019
- Established Chronic Pain Advisory Council to serve as a collective authority advocating for more education, research and care for women living with chronic pain.
HealthyWomen, September 2020-Present
- Convened and facilitated a migraine research roundtable to identify research gaps and unmet needs in migraine research. Established a Research Advisory Committee to advance migraine research.
Association of Migraine Disorders, March 30, 2019
- Convened and facilitated a roundtable discussion on Migraine Therapies in Women to explore the availability and efficacy of non-invasive treatments.
HealthyWomen, December 14, 2018
- Co-led scientific workshop on the inclusion of women and minorities in clinical trials - Achieving Meaningful Subgroup Data in Clinical Trial Design and Development to examine the way clinical trials are designed and how subgroups can be better represented and analyzed in clinical trials in order to achieve clinical meaningfulness.
Society for Women’s Health Research, Washington, DC. January 27-28, 2016.
- Planned, organized and hosted a two-day symposium on Cardiovascular Disease Prevention for Millennial Women: Beyond Traditional Risk Factors - a unique symposium focused solely on the influence of reproductive health, immunological factors and psychosocial issues on women’s cardiac health.
Society for Women’s Health Research, Winston-Salem, NC, October 7-8, 2015.
- Convened and facilitated roundtable discussion on sex and gender differences in Alzheimer’s disease to explore the state of the science and discuss trends in research. Established a multi-year Alzheimer’s Disease Network.
Society for Women’s Health Research, May 28-29, 2015
- Convened and facilitated an interdisciplinary scientific roundtable to understand urologic health in women across the lifespan. Established a multi-year Urology Network.
Society for Women’s Health Research, October 29- 30, 2014
- Convened and facilitated an interdisciplinary scientific roundtable to understand the role of sex and gender differences in sleep. Established a multi-year Sleep Network
Society for Women’s Health Research, October 24-25, 2013
- Convened and planned an interdisciplinary scientific roundtable discussion to address the role of environment and sex differences in the development of autoimmune disease.
Society for Women’s Health Research, October 5, 2012
Sex differences and chronic conditions:
- Mallampalli MP, Rizk HB, Kheradmand A, Beh S, Abouzari M, Bassett A, Ceriani CE, Crowson M, Djalilian H, Ginoza L, Goebel JA, Kuhn JJ, Luebke AE, Mandalà M, Nowaczewska M, Spare N, Teggi R, Versino M, Yuan H, Zaleski-King A, Teixido M, Godley F. Care Gaps and Recommendations in Vestibular Migraine: An ExpertPanel Summit. Front Neurol. 2022 Jan 3;12:812678. PMID: 35046886
- Nebel RA, Aggarwal NT, Barnes LL, Gallagher A, Goldstein JM, Kantarci K, Mallampalli MP, Mormino EC, Scott L, Yu WH, Maki PM, Mielke MM. Understanding the impact of sex and gender in Alzheimer’ disease: A call to action. Alzheimer’s Dement. 2018 Sep;14(9):1171-1183. PMID: 29907423
- Ohayon M, Wickwire EM, Hirshkowitz M, Albert SM, Avidan A, Daly FJ, Dauvilliers Y, Ferri R, Fung C, Gozal D, Hazen N, Krystal A, Lichstein K, Mallampalli M, Plazzi G, Rawding R, Scheer FA, Somers V, Vitiello MV. National Sleep Foundation's sleep quality recommendations: first report. Sleep Health. 2017 Feb;3(1):6-19.PMID: 28346153
- Mallampalli MP and Carter CL. Exploring sex and gender differences in sleep. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2014 Jul; 23(7):553-62. PMID: 24956068
- Mallampalli MP, Davies E, Wood D, Robertson H, Polato F, Carter CL. Role of environment and sex differences in the development of autoimmune diseases: a roundtable meeting report. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2013 Jul;22(7):578-86. PMID: 23829184
- Carter CL, Resnick EM, Mallampalli M, Kalbarczyk A. Sex and gender differences in Alzheimer's disease: recommendations for future research. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2012 Oct;21(10):1018-23.
- Miller VM, Kaplan JR, Schork NJ, Ouyang P, Berga SL, Wenger NK, Shaw LJ, Webb RC, Mallampalli M, Steiner M, Taylor DA, Merz CN, Reckelhoff JF. Strategies and methods to study sex differences in cardiovascular structure and function: a guide for basic scientists. Biol Sex Differ. 2011 Dec 12;2:14. PMID: 22152231
- McCloskey L, Bernstein J, The Bridging The Chasm Collaborative, Amutah-Onukagha N, Anthony J, Barger M, Belanoff C, Bennett T, Bird CE, Bolds D, Brenna BW, Carter R, Celi A, Chachere B, Crear-Perry J, Crossno C, Cruz-Davis A, Damus K, Dangel A, Depina Z, Deroze P, Dieujuste C, Dude A, Edmonds J, Enquobahrie D, Eromosele E, Ferranti E, Fitzmaurice M, Gebel C, Blount LG, Greiner A, Gullo S, Haddad A, Hall N, Handler A, Headen I, Heelan-Fancher L, Hernandez T, Johnson K, Jones E, Jones N, Klaman S, Lund B, Mallampalli M, Marcelin L, Marshall C, Maynard B, McCage S, Mitchell S, Molina R, Montasir S, Nicklas J, Northrup A, Norton A, Oparaeke E, Ramos A, Rericha S, Rios E, Bloch JR, Ryan C, Sarfaty S, Seely E, Souter V, Spain M, Spires R, Theberge S, Thompson T, Wachman M, Yarrington T, Yee LM, Zera C; Working Group Advisors, Clayton J, Lachance C. Bridging the Chasm between Pregnancy and Health over the Life Course: A National Agenda for Research and Action. Womens Health Issues. 2021 MayJun;31(3):204-218. PMID: 33707142
- Losada L, Amundsen CL, Ashton-Miller J, Chai T, Close C, Damaser M, DiSanto M, Dmochowski R, Fraser MO, Kielb SJ, Kuchel G, Mueller ER, Parker-Autry C, Wolfe AJ, Mallampalli MP. Expert Panel Recommendations on Lower Urinary Tract Health of Women across their Lifespan. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2016 Nov;25(11):1086-1096. PMID: 27285829
- Mueller ER, Damaser MS, Mallampalli MP, Losada L. Women's Urological Health as a Priority to the Woman Well Visit. Women's Health Issues. 2016 Jul-Aug;26(4):476-477. PMID: 27448751
- Resnick EM, Mallampalli M, Carter CL. Current challenges in female veterans’ health. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2012 Sep;21(9):895-900. PMID: 22876756